The Butchers has been awarded a £10,000 grant from Big Lottery “Awards for All”. In conjunction with some of our own funds this will allow the provision of additional 1st floor dining / meeting space.
The Butchers Arms cooperative pub / hub has now reached capacity with dining provision and is regularly turning away considerable additional trade. Balancing the needs of our tenants for turnover with the cooperatives desire for community space is an increasing challenge.
To resolve this issue the Directors propose the adaption of two upstairs storerooms / bedrooms into a single additional dining room.
To deliver the project there are two key stages:
- Creation of additional dry storage in part of the existing outbuilding to release the upstairs rooms. This will be used for storage of additional glassware, crockery, soft drinks, tinned and dry food.
- Installation of an external fire escape, fire blind at the bottom of the stairs, fire doors to upstairs rooms and conversion of the two rooms into a single dining space. This will include decorating, improved lighting and replacement of floor coverings. Provision of dry storage and walk
It is intended that work to the external store will be delivered by community volunteers.
In general the works comprise:
- Boarding and insulating the corrugated roof
- Installation of a partition wall
- Building up existing large doorway and installing a standard external doorway
- Repairs to internal stone walling
- Screed to floor
- Painting throughout
- Relocating existing and provision of additional lighting
Inside right hand side of store building – entrance door on RHS
Provision of upstairs dining / meeting room
The major issues with conversion of two upstairs bedrooms to dining space relate to fire precautions which include:
1) External fire escape from stairway half landing. This will involve re-siting of heating radiator, lowering of landing window opening to floor level, construction of external stairs (planning permission already granted) and manufacture of bespoke fire exit door with window above.
2) Fire blind to be installed at bottom of stairs. This is a specialist product and will be installed by the manufacturer. Electrical links to fire alarm system and fire
boarding of stairwell were carried out as part of the previous building refurbishment.
3) Installation of fire doors to dining room, bedroom, bathroom and to corridor leading to manager’s accommodation.
4) A full fire alarm system with sensors already exists in all upstairs rooms so no further work is required on this. There will be a requirement for 2 additional illuminated fire exit signs.
Additional works will include:
1) Knocking out the partition wall between the two existing bedrooms – this is not load bearing.
2) Blocking up one of the existing doorways and making good plasterwork
3) Provision of further lighting.
4) Painting of all woodwork, walls and ceilings.
5) Installation of new carpeting to stairs and dining / meeting room
6) Tables / chairs for 24 people
Photo left- Staircase and right hand end of bar. Roller Fire Blind to be installed at bottom of stairs. Linked to Fire Alarm System and automatically closes in the event of a fire giving 2 hr fire resistance.
Fire escape to for upstairs through doorway to replace landing window.
The understairs cellar was fire board lined during the original refurbishment
Photo below right – Landing window from upstairs landing.
Window to be replaced with PVC fire door with arched window above.
Radiator below window to be replaced with a vertical radiator on wall to LHS of new door.
Please click this link to view the PDF drystore and dining/meeting area expansion_2013_0511